Pumpkin In Coconut Gravy is a very delicious dish prepared using pumpkins, grated coconut and spices. This dish tastes the best when served with steamed rice. Another perfect way to enjoy the flavorful of pumpkin in this fall season.
This is called dudde katkato in konkani. Dudde means pumpkin and katkato means boiling. I think the coconut gravy is added to the boiling pumpkin and thus the name 🙂 The sweetness of the pumpkin and the spiciness of the chillies added gives out a amazing flavor to this dish. This is one the best and favorite dish that my family loves with pumpkin.
You can also check pumpkin chocolate swirl bread
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 5
Ingredients for Pumpkin In Coconut Gravy
Pumpkin chopped - 3 cups (around 30 pieces)
Green chilies / Thai bird chilies - 2 to 3
Jaggery / Brown sugar - 1 tbsp
Grated Coconut ( dry / fresh) - ¾ cup
Dried red chili - 3
Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
Urad Dal / white lentil - 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil / Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Steps to prepare Pumpkin in Coconut Gravy
- Wash the chopped pumpkins.
- Add the pumpkins, green chillies, water, jaggery in a thick bottom pan, close the lid and bring it to nice boil till the pumpkins are cooked. See that the pumpkins are covered with water.
- Dry roast the urad dal and coriander seeds till you get a nice aroma.
- Grind the grated coconut, dry roasted ingredients, red chilli adding water to form thick smooth paste.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked add the ground paste to it, salt and bring it to nice boil.
- Meanwhile heat oil in pan. Add mustard seeds, when they start to splutter add the curry leaves and switch off the flame.
- Add this tempering to the pumpkin gravy.
- Pumpkin In Coconut Gravy is now ready. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy.
- Vary the amount of green chilies as per your taste.