Pumpkin Idli also known as dudde idli or pumpkin savory cake is a very delicious and flavorful recipe prepared using rice, grated pumpkin and coconut. This is another tastier way to enjoy pumpkin this fall season. This dish is vegan and gluten free.
This can be served alone or even with butter for lunch / dinner / breakfast or even as snack. Also check pumpkin in coconut gravy and pumpkin chocolate swirl cake bread . To try out different variations of idli click here
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 30 medium sized idlis
Ingredients for Pumpkin Idli
Rice / Rice rava - 2 cups
Ginger - 1 inch
Green Chiles - 4 to 5
Grated coconut (fresh / dry) - ½ cup
Grated pumpkin - 1 ½ cup
Asafoetida / Hing - ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil / Coconut Oil - to grease the idli plates.
Steps to prepare Pumpkin Idli
- If your using rava then just wash it and keep it aside. If your are using rice then grind it to form coarse powder. Then wash it.
- Grind the grated coconut, ginger, green chiles with very little water to from a thick smooth paste.
- Mix the ground paste, grated pumpkin, salt, asafoetida to the washed rice rava. Add little water, say around ¼ cup and the batter is ready.
- Add enough water in pressure cooker / steamer and switch on the flame. I have used pressure cooker without whistle / weight.
- Grease the idli moulds with oil. Pour idli batter into each mould.
- Place the idli stand in pressure cooker and steam idli for about 10 to 12 minutes in medium flame. Once its done using spoon remove idli from the idli plates.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Pumpkin Idli is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- You can also refrigerate the remaining batter and use it next day.
- Vary the green chilies as per your taste.