Set Dosa or Set Pancakes are vegan, soft, spongy and incredibly delicious South-Indian breakfast recipe served in sets of 2 or 3.
This dosa gets its name - Set dosa - because more than one dosa is generally served in a plate in all the restaurants. In the early days 4 dosas were served in one plate, but as this was very filling and people could not finish the entire plate, they started ordering half set (2 dosas) dosa. As a result most restaurants started to serve 3 dosas in a plate, along with chutney and sambhar or sagu - and this has become a norm.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Fermentation : Overnight
Serves : approx 12 dosas
Ingredients for Set Dosa
Rice - 2 cup
Urad dal - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds / Methi - 1 tsp
Poha / Flattened rice - 1 cup (Check tip section)
Salt - to taste
Vegetable Oil - for cooking dosas
Steps to prepare Set Dosa
- Wash and soak rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in water for 4-5 hours.
- Wash poha and grind together with rice, dal and fenugreek seeds by adding water little by little.
- Grind it to form a thick and smooth batter.
- Cover it and allow to ferment atleast for 7 hours. I keep it overnight (Do not keep in refrigerator)
- You will notice that volume of batter is increased after fermentation. Now add salt and mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan or tava on medium to medium high flame.
- Pour a laddle full of batter and spread it gently. Drizzle oil on the sides.
- Cover it with a lid and leave it for 30 seconds.
- Now flip the dosa on other side and cook uncovered till its golden brown.
- Set Dosa is now ready. Serve hot with green coconut chutney and enjoy.
- I have used thin poha (beaten rice). If you are using thick poha just reduce the amount by half.