Tomato Chutney or dip is a oil-free, tangy and spicy, flavorful dip prepared in less than 15 minutes. This recipe is vegan and gluten free.
Tomato chutney is a classic accompaniment for South Indian breakfast recipes and can also be served as a side with rice and flat breads or even as a dipping sauce for nachos and chips. This chutney was introduced to me by my sister 🙂 It has become my family's favorite from then. Its simple to prepare and is very tasty.
Whenever I prepare any chutney or dip, I generally don't measure the ingredients but simply eyeball it. Feel free to vary the amount of ingredients as per your taste. There are different recipes for tomato chutney. Here is my simple recipe prepared using basic ingredients from my kitchen. Do try it out and share your comments.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Tomato Chutney
Onion finely chopped - ½
Garlic clove - 1
Almonds - 5
Tomato chopped - 2
Green chilies - 2
Asafoetida / Hing - ⅛ tsp
Coriander leaves - 5 strands
Salt - to taste
Red chile powder - ½ teaspoon (optional)
Steps to prepare Tomato Chutney
- In a pan add onion and garlic clove. Add pinch of salt and saute till it becomes translucent.
- Now add the tomatoes, asafoetida and saute till tomatoes become soft.
- Add the coriander leaves and saute for a minute. Then switch off the flame.
- In a blender add the sauteed ingredients, along with the green chillies and almonds and blend it with very little water to form a thick smooth paste.
- Transfer this to a bowl. Adjust the salt and spiciness (with the chile powder).
- Tomato chutney is now ready. Serve fresh and enjoy.
- You can even add oil and temper it with mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and curry leaves if desired.
- You can add ginger if desired.
- I have used soaked almonds. You can add regular ones or even substitute almonds with cashews.
- Vary the spiciness as per your taste.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***