Spicy Wheat Appo is a quick and easy to make, fat free delicious recipe that is cripsy on the outside with soft and chewy texture inside. This recipe is vegan and can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.
Appo / Appe (Konkani) is also known as paddu in kannada and as paniyaram in tamil. This dish can be served as snack / finger food or even for breakfast, along with green coconut chutney. You just need paniyaram pan / appe kayli to prepare this recipe. If you do not have them feel free to make pancakes with the same batter. I have used a non-stick appe pan, and therefore I have not used any oil during cooking. If you find it difficult to cook without oil or if you do not have a non-stick pan then grease the pan with coconut oil or butter and just drizzle some more during cooking process.
Whenever I have surprise guests at home, I prepare such recipes as they are not only easy to make, but also very tasty and gets over in no time.
You can also check other appo recipes
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves : approx 30 appos
Ingredients for Spicy Wheat Appo
Whole wheat flour - ¾ cup
Semolina / Sooji - 1.4 cup
Baking soda - ½ tsp
Green chilies finely chopped - 3
Ginger finely chopped - 1 inch
Cilantro / Coriander leaves chopped - 5 strands
Pepper powder - ¼ tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - approx 1 ¾ cup
Steps to prepare Spicy Wheat Appo
- In a bowl, add wheat flour, semolina, baking soda & water, and mix well. See that there are no lumps.
- The batter should be of medium thick consistency. So add water little by little while preparing the batter.
- Now add the chopped green chilies, ginger, pepper powder, cilantro, cumin seeds and mix well.
- Keep this batter aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat non-stick appe pan. Pour the batter on each mould of the pan, and allow it to cook on a medium flame.
- When it is cooked from one side turn and cook on the other side till its crisp and golden brown on both the sides.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Spicy Wheat Appo is now ready. Serve hot with green coconut chutney and enjoy.
- You can cook this using coconut oil or butter. This will enhance the taste.
- The amount of water required may vary depending on the brand of flour used and weather conditions.
- You can substitute green chilies with jalapeno, serrnao pepper or even red chile powder. Taste may vary accordingly.