Apple Appe is a soft and chewy, delicious mouth watering snack prepared using apples and wheat flour or atta, and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes.
Appe also called appo or paniyaram is a popular dish prepared in coastal regions of south-India for breakfast or as an evening snack. Whenever I have surprise guests at home, I like to make these goodies using bananas as they are not only easy to make but also tasty and a crowd favorite. This fall I have become an apple maniac. I simply can’t get enough of it. I love to try several recipe variations in my kitchen using fresh apples and apple butter. This time it was appe. I had prepared a big batch of apple butter at the beginning of Fall, and I have made good use of it by incorporating it in many of my recipes. Even before the apple season ends, I am surely going to prepare another big batch of apple butter so that I can use it for rest of the year
The batter for this recipe is very simple and I use it to make appes frequently. This is definitely a no fuss recipe It requires few basic ingredients and can be prepared in matter of minutes. With small chunks of apple in every bite and the decadant flavor of apple butter makes this snack irresistible. All you need is a paniyaram pan / appe kayli to prepare these delicious treats. If you do not have a paniyaram pan feel free to make pancakes with the same batter.
While you are here do check out some of my favorite Appe and Apple recipes:
- Apple Coffee Cake With Crumb Topping
- Eggless apple Pancakes
- Apple Cheese Danish
- Apple Fritters
- Sweet Rice Appo
- Spicy Wheat Appo
- Chocolate Appo
- Instant Sweet Banana Appo
- Tempered Appo
- Vegan Apple Dates Bread
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 28 to 30 appes
Ingredients for Apple Appe
Wheat flour / Atta – 1 cup
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – pinch
Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 2 1/2 tbsp (vary as per your taste)
Apple Butter – 1 1/2 tbsp (check tip for substitute)
Apples finely chopped – 1/2 cup
Butter / Vegan butter – for cooking appes
Steps to prepare Apple Appe
- In a large bowl, add wheat flour, baking soda, salt, cardamom powder, sugar and mix these dry ingredients well.
- To this add apple butter, chopped apples and water little by little to form a thick to medium thick batter. I have added approximately 1 cup + 1/4 cup of water to make the batter.
- Heat a non-stick appe pan. Grease each mould of the pan with butter and pour tablespoon of batter. Cover with lid and allow it to cook on a medium flame.
- When the edges are cooked, flip the appes, add some butter and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.
- Repeat the process for remaining batter.
- Apple Appes are ready. Serve and enjoy.
- If you do not have apple butter, saute chopped apples in butter with little sugar till it develops some color and add it to the batter. In this case you can also increase the amount of chopped apples to 3/4 cup.
- Vary the sweetness as per your taste.
- I have used a non-stick appe pan.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***