Veggie Pinwheels are bite size, super easy to make and an addictive appetizer prepared using Puff Pastry Sheets and spring vegetables of your choice. These pinwheels are perfect finger food for your spring outdoor potlucks, holiday gatherings, or during game night with family and friends.
I hope you all know by now my love for Puff Pastry Sheets. It all started with this puff samosa. Thaw – roll – fill and bake. It is a no fail product and comes out perfect every single time. It has a light, crispy and flaky texture with delicate flavor. I have to admit that with these sheets my life has become so much easier 🙂 I always have a box of Puff Pastry Sheets on stand-by in my freezer.
Spring is here and it is the time of the year between both formal entertaining settings such as Easter and more casual occasions like a spring-time brunch, baby shower or bridal shower when simple, easy and delicious recipes are a must. During these events or when I have surprise guests over, I love to prepare something with these Puff Pastry Sheets. It may be a dessert, an appetizer, a quick snack or even a pizza. It's not only super fun to make your favorite recipes with a twist at home, it is so much fun to eat and share it with your loved ones.
The only thing you need to be worried is how to handle compliments once you bake and serve these treats. Prepare these beauties this spring season, serve it and surprise your guests.
I have prepared Veggie Pinwheels using my favorite spring vegetables. The recipe below is completely customizable. Feel free to include any fresh veggies and seasonings of your choice.
Some of my favorite recipes prepared using these Puff Pastry Sheets are listed below, so do check them out!
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Thaw time : 40 minutes
Ingredients for Veggie Pinwheels
Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry Sheets - 1
Large onion - 1
Garlic cloves - 4
Ginger - 1 inch
Green chile - 1
Medium carrots - 2
Green beans - 12
Coriander leaves / Cilantro - 6 strands
Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp
Soy sauce - 1 tsp
Tomato ketchup - 2 tbsp
Red chile powder - ½ tsp
Garam masala - ¼ teaspoon (optional)
Egg - 1 (optional)
Salt - to taste
Grated cheese - ½ cup
Steps to prepare Veggie Pinwheels
- Using food processor finely chop onion, garlic, ginger, and green chile together - and transfer to a small bowl. Then chop carrots, beans, and coriander leaves.
- In a non-stick pan on medium-high heat, add oil and saute the following chopped veggies - onion, garlic, ginger, and green chilies until onions turn golden brown.
- Then add chopped carrots, beans and coriander leaves and continue sauteing for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, ketchup, red chile powder, garam masala powder and mix well. Season with salt according to taste.
- Vegetable spread/mix is now ready, keep it aside to cool.
- Thaw Puff Pastry Sheets according to package instruction. Unwrap the thawed sheets onto a well floured working surface (check tip section).
- Using a rolling pin roll it into approximately 9 by 12 inch rectangle.
- Spread the prepared vegetable mix leaving about ½ inch along one side of the longest edge of the Puff Pastry. Now evenly distribute the grated cheese over the vegetables.
- Brush the remaining ½ inch wide strip of Puff Pastry with egg wash.
- Next make a tight roll starting from the longest side of the Puff Pastry Sheet that has the vegetable mix, and ending the roll on the side that has egg wash. Transfer the rolled dough to the freezer for about 8 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Remove the Puff Pastry roll from the freezer, and using a sharp knife cut into 1 cm thick pinwheels. Place the pinwheels 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the side of pinwheels with egg wash to ensure a golden crust after baking.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Veggie Pinwheels are now ready. You can serve these alone or with a side of ketchup.
- How to Thaw Puff Pastry Sheets: To thaw at room temperature, remove pastry sheet(s) from the box and outer wrapping. Thaw Puff Pastry Sheets until it unfolds easily, no more than 40 minutes.
- (NEW Quick Thaw) To thaw in the microwave, remove 1 pastry sheet from the box and outer wrapping and wrap in a paper towel. Microwave on HIGH for 15 seconds. Turn the pastry sheet over. Microwave for another 15 seconds. If pastry doesn’t unfold easily, microwave for another 5 seconds on each side.
- I prefer to work on a large wooden board (or other cutting boards) that fits in my freezer. This makes transporting the pastry in and out of the freezer extremely easy.
- If you find that the pastry is beginning to feel soft, transfer it to freezer for 5 mins before resuming to work on it.
- For best results, keep the pinwheels in the freezer for about 5 mins before placing them in the oven.
- Use in any vegetables of your choice.
- Add seasonings like garlic powder, onion powder, pepper powder if desired.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***