Chane Usli is very popular and delicious Konkani recipe prepared using chickpeas for breakfast and even during fasting days and festivals. This is no onion no garlic recipe.
I have used dried chickpeas for this recipe. If you are using canned chickpeas then you will need hardly 5 minutes to prepare.This is very nutritious and is a good source of protein.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Serves : 3
Ingredients for Chane Usli
Dried Chickpeas - 1 cup
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad dal - 1 tsp
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp
Curry leaves - 1 leaflet
Green chilli - 4
Asafoetida / hing - ¼ tsp
Jaggery grated- 1 tbsp
Grated coconut - ½ cup
Salt to taste
Steps to prepare Chane Usli
- Wash and soak the dried chickpeas overnight. Next morning pressure cook the chickpeas for 3 to 4 whistles. Water should be at least ½ inch above the toor dal. Let the first whistle be on high flame and the remaining three in medium flame. If you are using canned chickpeas then ignore this step.
- Place the cooker inside the sink and run cold water over the top side of the lid until all the pressure is released. Now add the salt and bring this to nice boil.
- Drain the cooked chickpeas and retain the water. I will soon post a recipe on a tasty rasam that can be prepared using this water.
- Heat oil in non-stick pan. Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add urad dal and saute for few seconds till it becomes light brown.
- Now chop and add the curry leaves and green chilli and saute for few seconds.
- Add cooked chickpeas, asafoetida, jaggery, grated coconut, 2 tablespoon of water that was used while boiling chickpeas, salt if required and mix well and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Chane usli is ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- You can substitute jaggery with brown sugar.
- You can also use black chickpeas or green peas or even moong dal for this recipe.
- Vary the amount of green chilli and jaggery as per your taste.