Chicken Satay is a spicy, lightly sweet, and tangy mouth watering appetizer where the chicken is marinated overnight and the chicken skewers are then grilled to perfection. A great mix of sweet and heat! The best and the easiest recipe that I have tried so far.
First of all thanks to all my readers who tried my tandoori style grilled chicken recipe. It makes me happy when you try and tell me about it. The recipe below is specially for those who requested me to post more of such grilled chicken recipes.
In simple words, if you have not tried chicken satay at home so far, it means you have been missing out something. I hope you get what I am saying 🙂 The chicken is loaded with full of flavor and is exceptionally tender. I have served it with pickled vegetables and bread!
Boneless chicken thighs are used in the recipe which is marinated in sauce and spices overnight and then grilled. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, throw in all the ingredients mentioned and stir to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight or at least for 5 hours. If you are in a rush, you can marinate it for 30 minutes before you grill. Longer marination ensures that every bite of the chicken is flavorful, as well as juicy and tender. Vary the amount of sauces and spices as per your taste. When you are ready to eat, grill them over gas/charcoal grill and serve. To prevent the skewers from burning soak them in water at least 30 minutes before using. Metal skewers may be used if you have them handy.
To prepare pickled vegetables, add about one tablespoon of sugar into a medium size bowl. Into this add about half a cup of vinegar. Then add veggies of your choice. I have added chopped onions, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro and green chilies. Let it pickle for atleast 10 minutes before serving. I typically prepare the pickle just before heading to the grill. This should give ample time for the veggies to soak in the acid from the vinegar and to get to know each other. This is a classic side served with chicken satay. When you bite through the pickled chilie - the burst of mellow heat is simply mind blowing. You should definitely give this fresh pickle a shot, specially if you have not tried it before.
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Cook time : 15 minutes
Marination - overnight
Serves : 4 (about 16-18 small skewers)
Ingredients for Chicken Satay
Chicken thighs boneless - 6
Coriander leaves / Cilantro finely chopped - 2 tbsp
Sriracha sauce - 2 tablespoon (adjust to your spice level)
Soy sauce - 3 tbsp
Balsamic vinegar - 1 tbsp
Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
Brown sugar - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
Red chile powder - ½ to 1 tablespoon (vary as per taste)
Curry powder - 1 tbsp
Garlic cloves finely chopped - 3
Ginger finely chopped - 1 inch
Green chili / Serrano finely chopped - 1 (optional)
Cream / Coconut milk - ¼ cup
Salt - 2 tsp
To cook the chicken:
Steps to prepare Chicken Satay
Step I (Marinate the chicken)
- In a bowl add all the ingredients mentioned in the ingredient list into a large bowl and mix.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Add it to the marinade.
- Stir to coat the chicken. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate it overnight in the refrigerator.
Step II (Cook the chicken)
- If you are using a charcoal grill make sure the coal is white hot. On a gas grill you can use the medium-high to high setting. Also, make sure the grates are clean and apply a coat of vegetable oil so that the chicken does not stick while placed on them.
- Skewer the chicken pieces onto the bamboo-skewers.
- Chicken Satay is now ready. Serve with pickled vegetables, bread, lemon wedges and enjoy.
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water at least 30 minutes before using them.
- This is spicy version. Vary the spices as per your taste.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***