Easy Breakfast Burritos are healthy, protein-packed, colorful breakfast recipe that is filling, one of the best breakfast option to kick start your day on a busy morning. My favorite make-ahead breakfast recipe or breakfast wraps.
What are Breakfast Burritos?
Also called Breakfast wrap, this is an American breakfast recipe that includes breakfast recipe item, wrapped in a flour tortilla. The burrito ingredients may include any combination of scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, peppers that can be from bell pepper, jalapeno any chile peppers, sausage, onions, spinach, cheese, potatoes, bacon, chorizo, black beans, avocado, ham, etc. Pick and choose your favorite burrito ingredients combination.
Are breakfast burritos healthy?
Breakfast burritos are high in protein, filling, and one of the best breakfast options for your busy mornings on workday or weekdays.
Some tips to make the best and perfect breakfast burrito from scratch
- Season the ingredients at last minute with salt and pepper. Adding salt early draws out moisture and makes egg watery and burritos soggy.
- Use sharp or spicy cheese for an additional kick. I personally love Pepper Jack. You can add Gouda or Cheddar too. For a mild flavor you can even use mozzarella.
- It is always good to warm your tortilla before you add fillings and wrap. Do not overstuff the burritos too. Else it may be difficult to roll and even break.
Tips to Make-ahead breakfast burritos or Freezer Breakfast Burritos
- Once you are done rolling, tightly wrap the breakfast burritos in parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Transfer this to freezer-safe Ziploc bags and keep it in the freezer for up to 1 month and use it as and when required.
How do you reheat breakfast burritos?
- To reheat in the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the burritos from the plastic bag but leave them wrapped on parchment paper or foil. warm directly on your oven rack for 20 minutes or till it is heated through.
- To reheat in a microwave: Unwrap the burritos and microwave on high for 2 ½ minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To reheat in stovetop: Place a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the burritos with folded side down and saute it for a minute or two. Then flip and heat for another minute or till it is heated through.
For the best results, I would recommend thawing the frozen burritos in the refrigerator overnight.
Some of my favorite and most popular Mexican Food Recipes
- Enchilada Style Burritos - Most Popular on my blog. Don't miss to check out!!
- Black beans rice
- Mexican Street corn - Elote
- Tortillas Homemade
- Peach Salsa
While you are here, also check out some easy breakfast recipes or breakfast ideas
- Banana muffins
- Best homemade doughnuts
- Blueberry scones
- Healthy Breakfast Smoothie
- strawberry turnovers– popular on the blog
- apple cheese danish– popular on the blog
- Mini pumpkin pancakes
- Strawberry Nutella crepes
- Eggless apple pancakes
- Surnali dosa, 3 ingredient rice pancake
Detailed recipe for Healthy and Easy Breakfast Burritos
- 5 large Eggs , beaten
- 1 large Onion , sliced
- 3 large Mushrooms , sliced
- 1 handful Spinach
- 1 large Tomato , sliced
- ½ medium Green bell pepper (Capsicum), sliced
- 2 slice Cheese (of your choice)
- 2 Flour tortillas , burrito size (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- In a pan on medium heat add ½ tablespoon of oil, onions, and mushrooms until they develop color and set aside.1 large Onion, 1 tablespoon Oil, 3 large Mushrooms
- In the same pan, saute spinach for a couple of minutes or until wilted. Set aside.1 handful Spinach
- In the same pan add the remaining ½ tablespoon oil, add beaten eggs, and prepare a scramble. To scramble eggs, leave the eggs undisturbed for a minute after adding them to the pan. Once it sets, using a wooden spatula start stirring the eggs slowly until the eggs are no more liquid and small crumbles are formed. Do not overcook. Add broken cheese slices, season with salt and pepper, mix well, and set aside.5 large Eggs, 2 slice Cheese, 1 tablespoon Oil, ¼ teaspoon Salt, ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- In a dry skillet, on medium-high heat warm up the tortillas as per package instructions. Usually, heat 15 seconds on each side.2 Flour tortillas
- To assemble, place the warm tortillas on a working surface. Add half portions of sauteed onions, mushroom and spinach, tomatoes, green bell pepper, and scrambled eggs at the center.1 large Tomato, ½ medium Green bell pepper
- Fold opposite ends of the tortilla towards the center. This prevents the filling from falling off. Roll the burrito using the free unfolded end (burrito-style). Cut into half if desired.
- Breakfast Burritos are ready. Serve and enjoy.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***