Mixed Flour Chapati or Multi-grain Flat Bread is a vegan, healthy, nutritious and easy to make recipe prepared in less than 25 minutes.
My family prefers to have flat bread at least thrice a week and I love to experiment in my kitchen. This flat bread or chapati is prepared using 5 different flours. They always turn-out soft and tasty, and can be served with most Indian side-dishes. They also make wonderful chapathi / kathi rolls, or may be used to prepare delicious flat-bread sandwiches.
Gluten free soybean flour is a good source of protein, iron and dietary fiber. It is also low in cholesterol and sodium. The nutty flavor of soybean flour reminds me of chickpea flour.
Jowar (White Millet) is gluten-free, cholesterol free and high in protein and calcium.
Bajra (Pearl Millet ) is also gluten free, high in fiber content, controls blood sugar and is thus very good for diabetics.
So if you want a gluten free flat bread then add only soybean flour, jowar flour and bajra flour from the recipe and also feel free to include finger millet (ragi flour). If you are a weight watcher then you must definitely include this flat bread in your daily diet.
Preparation time : 30 minutes
Serves : 8 to 10 chapatis or flat breads
Ingredients for Mixed Flour Chapati
Wheat flour – 1/4 cup
All purpose flour / Maida – 1/4 cup
Jowar flour – 1/4 cup
Bajra flour – 1/4 cup
Soybean flour – 1/4 cup
Salt – to taste
Vegetable oil – for cooking breads
Steps to prepare Mixed Flour Chapati
- Add all the flour to a bowl that is mentioned in the ingredient list.
- Now add warm water little by little and knead it for 3 – 4 minutes to form a smooth dough like that of regular chapati.
- You can immediately start preparing chapatis / bread, but I generally prefer to cover the dough and rest it for 15 minutes.
- Heat the tava / non stick pan / skillet on medium-high flame.
- Dust the working surface with flour. Take a small piece of dough and roll it to a 6 inch diameter circle like a tortilla or any other roti.
- Once the pan is hot, place the rolled bread and cook until the underside develops brown spots for about 30 seconds.
- Then flip and cook on other side for another 30 seconds. you can add oil or butter while cooking if desired.
- Repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Mixed Flour Chapati or Multi-grain Flat Bread is now ready. Serve hot and enjoy.
- You can vary the amount of different flours in the recipe as desired.