Pineapple Upside Down Cake is an incredibly delicious, moist and flavorful melt in mouth cake that is great with a cup of coffee. The caramelized topping on the cake is so good that you just can’t stop eating it. This is my go to recipe for quick baked cakes and is prepared frequently in my kitchen.
Upside down is one of my favorite type of cakes and I have been preparing them a lot ever since I began baking. In addition to preparing upside down cake with pineapples, I have also used apple, pears, peaches and almonds. I love them all. But there are many other fruits that I want to try out. Which is your favorite upside down cake? While you are here also check out two of my most viewed recipes: chocolate almond upside down cake and peach upside down cake.
As you all know by now, I just love baking. This week when I visited grocery store I could smell sweet pineapple fragrance throughout the store and they were also on great deal and I knew what I was going to bake again.
I have posted this recipe on my initial days of blogging where I used to click pics on my phone and my photography skills were bad. So this time I made sure I clicked some photographs before the cake disappears. The cake is baked in a single pan and then flipped over and served upside down.The batter for this cake is simple and easy to prepare. As Valentine's day is around the corner I have baked it in heart shaped pan and using cookie cutter tried to fit bottom of pan with few heart shape pineapple slices. You can cut the pineapples into any desired shape.
Preparation time : 1 hour
Serves : one 9 inch cake
Ingredients for Pineapple Upside Down Cake
For the topping :
Butter - ⅓ cup
Brown sugar - ¾ cup
Juice of chopped pineapple - 1 ½ tbsp
Pineapple chopped - ⅓ of big pineapple or ½ or smaller one (cover the bottom of baking pan)
For the batter :
Butter - ⅓ cup
Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 ½ cup
Baking Powder – 2 tsp
White Sugar – ⅓ cup
Salt – ½ tsp
Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
Egg – 1
Cold Milk – ½ cup
Steps to prepare Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
- Melt ⅓rd cup of butter in 9 inch pan. Add brown sugar and pineapple juice and stir till sugar dissolves and starts bubbling. This may take around 5 minutes on medium to medium low flame.
- Switch off the flame and arrange the pineapple slices over this melted brown sugar mixture in such a way that pineapple pieces covers the base of the cake pan as much as possible. Keep this aside.
- In a pan add ⅓ cup of butter and melt till it turns light golden to brown on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Switch off the flame. Let this cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk the dry ingredients (cardamom powder, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt). To this add vanilla extract, milk, egg, melted butter and stir till they are just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour this batter over the pineapple slices and spread evenly.
- Bake this for about 30 minutes or till the top becomes golden brown, toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let this cool for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife through the edge of the cake before you flip. Invert large plate over the top of the baking pan and flip over to show the caramelized pineapple slices on top.
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake is now ready. Serve warm and enjoy.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***