Dulce De Leche Coconut Bites are chewy and melt in mouth, irresistibly delicious and fragrant treats prepared in less than 20 minutes using only 3 ingredients.
This recipe is inspired by traditional soye kadi (coconut burfi / nariyal burfi / coconut bites) which my mother-in-law prepares. Soyi means 'coconut' and kadi means 'fudge or burfi'. My mother-in-law prepares the best soye kadi, and I wish I could replicate her one day. She uses coconut, jaggery (gur) to prepare this recipe and then instead of making them into bars she makes round bite sized balls which makes it easier to chew and eat.
For the traditional recipe you will first have to caramelize jaggery to which you then add fresh grated coconut and cardamom powder and cook this on low heat stirring often to avoid burning. If you are able to make balls from this without it sticking to your hands, it means the burfi is done!! Some people even grease the pan with ghee and spread the mixture and cut it into desired shapes once it sets and cool down.
I have done a shortcut by substituting jaggery with homemade dulce de leche and fresh grated coconut with dried/desiccated coconut. You just have to warm the dulce de leche on double boiler till its smooth, and then add dry grated coconut and cardamom powder and mix for 4 to 6 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick and comes together, and you are able to form balls. You can even make this in a non-stick pan on low flame stirring continuously till the mixture becomes thick for about 5 to 7 minutes.
When the mixture is warm enough grease your palm with ghee and form balls of desired size. Even in this recipe you can either make fudge by simply transferring this mixture to greased plate or parchment paper and allow it to set. Then cut it down into equal pieces of desired shape.
You can call this fudge, bars, bites, balls, laddo or burfi(barfi). But don't miss to try this out as it's so tasty and tempting that it will disappear in no time and you will only be left with lot of praise for your treat 🙂
I hope you guys enjoyed my dulce de leche series. If you have missed any recipe here it is. Let me know which one is your favorite:
Preparation time : 15 minutes
Serves : 18 to 20 balls / bites
Ingredients for Dulce De Leche Coconut Bites
Dulce de leche - 1 can
Dry grated / shredded coconut - 3 cups
Cardamom powder - ½ tsp
Almonds - for garnish (optional)
Ghee / Melted butter - 1 tablespoon (optional)
Steps to prepare Dulce De Leche Coconut Bites
- In a blender or food processor, add 1 ½ cups of coconut and grind it to coarse mixture.
- Using double boiler method, warm the dulce de leche.
- Add coarsely ground coconut, remaining shredded coconut and cardamom powder and keep stirring it in double boiler until this mixture becomes thick and you are able to form balls out of this mixture, about 4 to 6 minutes (be careful as the mixture is going to be hot)
- When the mixture has cooled down, but still warm enough, grease your palm with ghee and prepare bite size balls. Garnish it with almonds if desired.
- Instead of balls you can even grease the plate with butter / ghee or use a parchment paper. Transfer the mixture and spread evenly. Cut it to desired shapes once it cools down completely.
- Dulce De Leche Coconut Bites are ready. Serve and enjoy!
- You can even make this in a non-stick pan. Just make sure you keep stirring the mixture till it comes together and becomes thick for 5 to 7 minutes on low flame.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***