No Knead Baguette is a vegan, easy to make, tasty and irresistible bread that is crusty outside with light and chewy texture inside and is a must try!
This bread is distinguishable from other breads due its length and the crispy crust. With the recipe below you can prepare 4 medium sized baguettes or 2 long baguettes.
This is one of my family’s favorite and I prepare it often. I always prepare two big loaves so that I can make cheese garlic bread the next day but it never happens as this bread gets over in no time. Generally I prefer to have bread with butter or cheese, but this is the only bread that I eat without either of these and just can’t stop with one slice.
Baguette is one of the simplest bread to try if you are a beginner when it comes to baking. I have tried my best to post bread recipes on Wednesdays of the second half of 2015, so technically this will be my last bread post for this year. I have plans to bake more varieties of bread in the upcoming year. If you would like to see a bread recipe of your choice, drop in a comment and I would love to bake it for you. Until then, wish you all a very happy new year.
Preparation time : 15 hours
Serves : 2 long baguettes
Ingredients for No Knead Baguette
Active Dry yeast – 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Warm water – 1 1/2 cup
All purpose flour – 3 1/4 cup + more for dusting
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
Steps to prepare No Knead Baguette
- In a bowl add sugar and warm water. Sprinkle the yeast and leave it undisturbed for 10 minutes. Let the yeast activate.
- Now add the all purpose flour, salt and mix well until the dough comes together into a ball. This dough will be sticky.
- Cover the dough with warm towel and rest it in a warm place for about 12 to 15 hours or till it is more than double in size.
- Dust the working surface with generous amount of flour as the dough will be sticky.
- Using a spatula scrape the dough onto working surface. Punch the dough to remove the air bubbles and using knife, cut them into 2 equal sizes for 2 long baguettes or 4 equal sizes for medium baguettes.
- Sprinkle flour on each piece of dough. Roll and stretch it outwards to form a thin long baguette.
- Sprinkle all purpose flour onto the baking pan. Place the baguettes on baking pan. Cover this and keep it in warm place for 1 to 1.5 hours or until it is doubled.
- Preheat the oven for 525 degree F. Place bowl of water in oven safe bowl at bottom rack. This is done to get good amount of moisture in the oven and nice crust to the baguette
- Make diagonal slits on top of the baguettes using scissor/ blade/ knife .
- Sprinkle water on the baguettes and keep it for baking. Remove the baguettes from oven and sprinkle the water at 5 minute-intervals.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it is golden in color and you get hollow sound when tapping.
- Allow it to cool down completely even before you slice them.
- No Knead Baguettes are now ready. Serve and enjoy.
- You may have to increase or decrease the amount of flour in the recipe based on the weather conditions.
- I have also tried this recipe with 2 1/4 tsp of yeast earlier (traditional bread method) and the outcome was perfectly fine.
- During winter, for warmer temperature preheat the oven to 150 degree F and rest the dough.
- If the dough becomes too sticky while shaping the baguette, coat your palm with flour.
- Shape the baguettes to the length that fits to your baking pan.