This Greek Salad is one of the best and easy, refreshing, and cooling salad recipes you will try this summer. This is one of my favorite summer side dishes.
Greek Salad also known as horiatiki salad (peasant salad or village salad) is one of the popular salads in Greek cuisine prepared with a classic combination of tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, and dressed or seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic powder.
My family is loving this salad series. If you have missed recent salad recipes, then do check out
- Thai Crunch Salad With Cashew Dressing
- Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad
- Lemony Arugula and White Beans Salad
Why do I love making Greek Salad often? Read below to know more
What I love about this salad is that for a change it does not have any greens - lettuce, spinach, kale, and arugula. One of the best ways to highlight all peak summertime veggies. Since no cooking and minimal prep (simple chopping and mixing) is involved, the time you spend in the kitchen during hot days is also reduced.
Greek salad dressing
One of the simplest and basic salad dressing. It just needs olive oil and a splash of citrus juice.
This salad travels well. You just take the chopped or diced ingredients in an airtight container and bottle of olive oil and lemon. Just before you are ready to eat, toss everything together. So this would be one of the best options for potlucks, picnic, BBQ or 4th of July party.
Are you on a diet or weight loss program? This salad is the best option.
Overall this is one of the best salads to serve any time of the year.
Ingredients for Greek Salad
2 medium Cucumbers, sliced or cubed
2 Tomatoes, cubed
1 Onion, cubed
¼ cup Olives, chopped
¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves, chopped (use any fresh herbs of your choice)
For the greek salad dressing
3 to 4 tablespoon Olive oil
1 ½ to 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
½ teaspoon Garlic powder (or 1 minced garlic clove)
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
How to make Greek salad
- In a large salad bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, cilantro, and feta cheese.
- In another bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste and whisk. Pour this dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Some other variations to greek salad
- You can add bell peppers (green, yellow, or red), caper berries (capers), chickpeas, or avocado
- In American-style greek salad, lettuce, pepperoni, radishes, anchovies (sardines), dolmades, beets are common.
- For the dressing or seasoning, you can add your favorite herbs and spices if desired.
- I have added cilantro or coriander leaves. You can use parsley or fresh basil or oregano.
- Vary all the ingredient amounts as per your liking.
How to serve Greek salad?
Greek salad can be served as a side with a bowl of soup, a slice of bread or grilled meat or pasta, or any vegetarian entrée. But on hot days, I really like to have a big bowl of this cold salad mixed with cooked quinoa or couscous for a light and satisfying meal.
Some serving suggestions for this salad includes
- Chicken tikka
- Tomato basil bread
- Pita bread
- Black bean burger
- Grilled margherita sandwich
- Bianca Pizza
How to store Greek Salad?
Like any other salad, Greek Salad tastes the best when served fresh. If there are any leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
One of the best make-ahead salad recipes
All you have to do is chop the veggies and keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Just before you are ready to serve add the dressing and toss.
Detailed recipe for Best & Easy Greek Salad - Summer Salad
Best & Easy Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salad) - Summer Salad
- 2 medium Cucumbers , sliced or cubed
- 2 Tomatoes , cubed
- 1 Onion , cubed
- ¼ cup Olives , chopped
- ¼ cup Feta cheese , crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro or coriander leaves, chopped (use any fresh herbs of your choice)
For the greek salad dressing
- 3 to 4 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoon Lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder (or 1 minced garlic clove)
- Salt , to taste
- Pepper , to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, cilantro, and feta cheese.2 medium Cucumbers, 2 Tomatoes, 1 Onion, ¼ cup Olives, 1 tablespoon Cilantro, ¼ cup Feta cheese
- In another bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste and whisk. Pour this dressing over the salad, toss and serve.3 to 4 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 ½ to 2 tablespoon Lemon juice, ½ teaspoon Garlic powder, Salt, Pepper
- Use your favorite seasonal veggies and greens.
- If you do not have feta cheese, consider substituting it with Halloumi, ricotta, labneh, cottage cheese, parmesan, etc.
If you like this Best & Easy Salad Recipe
Don't miss to check out other delicious recipes for summer!!
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***