Loaded cheese fries or Loaded French fries are easy to make, finger-licking good, and a total crowd-pleaser appetizer or snack where crispy French fries are loaded or topped with honey-chili or honey-sriracha mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, olives, and creamy cheese sauce. The traditional recipe uses crispy bits of bacon or other meat trimmings. This recipe is vegetarian, where bacon is replaced by sauteed mushrooms in honey chili or honey sriracha sauce. Thus, this recipe is packed full of flavor.
These loaded fries are the best appetizer or snack option for parties, Super Bowl, Football watch parties, game days, Friday night, movie night, slumber party, etc. I prepared this for a Super Bowl game party and the entire crowd loved it.
Caution: Once you start eating this, it is impossible to stop having these fries. You will be going back for more and more!!!!
Love potatoes and cheese? Then this is a special treat for all of you that combines both potatoes and cheese.
I have never come across people who dislike French fries or finger chips. Even today if we visit any restaurant French Fries is the first item we order. This loaded cheese fries just takes it to next level.
A big thanks to store-bought frozen fries. You can now prepare french fries even faster for weeknight or parties. But feel free to make French fries from scratch if you prefer.
Some easy variations to loaded fries
You can substitute French fries with tortilla chips and make nachos, or use potato wedges, steak fries, tater tots, or crinkle-cut potatoes in place of french fries and this recipe is going to taste equally good.
In the United States, loaded fries come with meat: sausage, beef, bacon, pulled pork, turkey, chili, chicken.
But today I have prepared a vegetarian, meatless version of loaded fries. Instead of meat I have used mushrooms and prepared honey sriracha mushroom.
How to make loaded cheese fries?
First fry or bake the fries in oven or air fryer according to package instructions. You can also make french fries from scratch.
Toppings options are endless. Instead of meat such as crispy bacon bits, I have prepared honey sriracha mushrooms so even all my vegetarian friends can also enjoy this delicious snack.
Finely chop mushrooms into small bite-sized pieces. Sauté it in oil with a dash of salt till it turns light golden in color and is cooked to desired texture. Add honey and sriracha sauce or any chili sauce and toss till all the mushrooms are coated in the sauce.
How to make cheese sauce for loaded fries or nachos at home?
Start by making a roux: In a pan, add a 1:1 ratio of melted butter to flour and whisk till the mixture is bubbly and foamy. I used 2 tablespoon of flour and 2 tablespoon of butter in this recipe.
Now add milk and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes thick, that is it coats the back of a spoon. Switch off the flame and add cheese little by little so that it melts nicely in the sauce. Add salt, cayenne or red chile powder for an additional burst of flavors and mix. Rich, thick & smooth cheese sauce is ready.
Prepare the sauce just before you are ready to assemble the fries. The sauce creates a layer of skin on top as it cools down which makes the sauce grainy when you stir. So the best option of to keep all the ingredients ready and prepare the cheese sauce at the end. You can even place a cling film plastic wrap touching the surface of the cheese sauce to prevent the formation of a skin.
How to assemble cheese fries :
Line your baking sheet or serving plate with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Arrange the fries in a single layer, top them with mushrooms, cheese sauce, topping of your choice. Take a fork and start eating. Cheers!!!
Ingredients used to make Loaded Cheese Fries or French Fries
1 ½ pounds or 750g French fries
For honey sriracha mushroom
4 oz Mushroom finely chopped
1 tablespoon Cooking oil
1 tablespoon Honey
2 tablespoon Chili sauce or Sriracha
For cheese sauce
2 tablespoon Butter
2 tablespoon All purpose flour
1 cup Milk
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon Chile powder
Salt, to taste
For loaded cheese fries toppings
¼ of large Onion, diced
¼ Red bell pepper diced
¼ Yellow bell pepper diced
¼ Green bell pepper diced
¼ cup Black olives
Cilantro or Coriander leaves chopped
Some other toppings that you can include instead of the ones above for the vegetarian option
Green onions or spring onions
Red pepper flakes
If you love potatoes and mushrooms then try some of these delicious recipes prepared using potato and mushroom.
- Mushroom in garlic cream sauce – POPULAR ON BLOG!!
- Mushroom butter masala – POPULAR ON BLOG
- Crispy Honey Chilli Potatoes
- Oven Roasted Rosemary Garlic Potato
- Cauliflower Potato Gratin
- Aloo Chana Chat (Potato Chickpeas Salad)
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Cauliflower Potato Pie
- Potato Smileys
- Crispy Potato Fritters
- Batata Vada (Fried Potato Dumpling) – my all-time favorite
Printable recipe to prepare Loaded Cheese fries or French fries or finger chips
LOADED CHEESE FRIES OR LOADED FRENCH FRIES OR FINGER CHIPS
- 1 ½ pound Frozen French fries (750g)
For honey sriracha mushroom or honey chili mushroom
- 4 oz Mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon Chili sauce or Sriracha sauce
For cheese sauce
- 2 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon All purpose flour or Maida
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ teaspoon Red chile powder or Cayenne powder
- Salt, to taste
For loaded cheese fries toppings
- ¼ Onion, diced
- ¼ Red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ Yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ Green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup Black olives
- Cilantro or Coriander leaves, chopped
Step I (For the fries)
- Deep fry, air fry, or bake the frozen French fries according to the package instructions. Keep this aside
- You can also make French fries from scratch if preferred.
Step II (Honey Sriracha Mushrooms)
- In a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add finely chopped mushrooms and sauté till its cooked, light golden in color, and reaches desired texture.
- Add honey and sriracha sauce and toss the sautéed mushrooms until well coated. Keep this aside.
Step III (For Cheese Sauce)
- Add butter to pan and heat on medium flame till its melted.
- Add flour and whisk continuously till the mixture bubbles and foams. Continue whisking this for another 1 minute.
- Slowly add milk and whisk continuously. Once all the milk is incorporated continue to simmer till the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, This may take 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk occasionally to avoid burning from the bottom. Switch off the flame
- Add salt, chili powder, cheese ½ cup at a time and stir continuously till the cheese has melted. If you find difficult to melt the cheese, switch on the flame to low heat and add cheese and stir.
- Taste the sauce and adjust any seasoning. If you feel the sauce is too thin, only then add more cheese. Please note that the sauce starts to thicken as it cools down.
Step IV (Assemble Loaded Cheese Fries)
- On the serving platter, arrange the fries in a single layer. Top it with honey chili mushrooms, cheese sauce, onions, bell peppers, olives, cilantro, and you are done.
- Loaded Cheese fries is ready. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Some other toppings that you can include instead of the ones given above for vegetarian option
Jalapenos, Sour cream, Tomatoes, Green onions or spring onions, Avocado, Ranch dressing, Red pepper flakes, etc.
- For meat or non vegetarian option : substitute mushroom with sausage, beef, bacon, pulled pork, turkey, chili, chicken, etc., cooked according to your preference
- Prepare the sauce when you are ready to assemble and serve. As the sauce cools down, it thickens and forms a grainy texture (depending on type of cheese used) when you whisk and pour.
If you like this loaded french fries or cheese fries recipe,
Don't miss to check out other delicious and popular vegetarian recipes
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***