Pumpkin Gut Dip or Dudde Gire Tambuli is a sweet, spicy, and tangy dip prepared using pumpkin-gut (stringy part separated from seeds) and aromatic spices. A perfect fall treat or dip that will steal the show.
I know I am late in posting a pumpkin recipe while they are in season. I was busy with Navaratri and my rice recipe series, but better late then never. Are you wondering what to do with the seeds and gut of a pumpkin after carving them or after preparing other pumpkin delicacies? If you were putting it straight to the trash all this while that's ok. But try this recipe once and it will no more go to the trash again!!
This dip is simple and easy to prepare. Now if you ask me what goes well with this dish, the options are endless. Starting from steamed rice, savory pancakes (dosa), any flatbread, and even with french fries. We even like to have it with rice porridge or oats porridge. You can combine it with anything and it is only going to enhance the dish.
If you find it difficult to separate seeds from the gut, at least try to do as much as possible. Because we are going to grind this dip, too much seeds can make your dip bitter, and sometimes chewy/fibrous because the skin of the seeds will not grind to a smooth paste. Small amount of seeds here and there is ok.
To start with, boil the pumpkin gut along with some chiles, coriander seeds, coconut, tamarind, sugar, and chunks of pumpkin along with water just enough to cover them. Do not add too much water. Simmer until the pumpkin has completely cooked through and most (90%) of the water evaporates.
Once the mixture cools down completely, grind it with very little or no water. Temper it with traditional Indian tempering and garnish it with some more coriander leaves (cilantro) and you are done.
Isn't this easy? I like the dip really spicy, but I have given recipe for mild to medium version. Vary the amount of chiles and sugar as per your taste. Let the dip be not too dry or watery. Semi dry would be the best.
I hope you give this recipe a try. More interesting pumpkin recipes are coming up on my blog, so stay tuned.
- vegan pumpkin doughnut holes - reader's favorite
Detailed recipe for Pumpkin Gut Dip
Pumpkin Gut Dip / Dudde Gire Tambuli
- 1 ½ cup Pumpkin gut (string that is separated from seeds)
- 3 Dried red chile (vary as per taste)
- 1 Green chile (vary as per taste)
- 1 ½ tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 cup Grated coconut
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tablespoon Tamarind
- 2 to 4 tablespoon Sugar / Jaggery
- ¾ cup Pumpkin chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Canola oil / Coconut oil / Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- Coriander leaves / Cilantro for ganrish (optional)
- In a pan, add all the ingredients mentioned in the list, with just enough water to cover them. Bring it to a boil and simmer till pumpkin is cooked through and 90 % of water evaporates.
- Once the above mixture cools down, grind it with little or no water to form dip. Do not add too much water.
- Transfer this to a bowl. Add salt and mix well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds. When it starts to splutter, add urad dal and saute till it becomes light brown in color. Other optional tempering ingredients include chana dal, curry leaves, dry red chile, and pinch of hing. Add these additional ingredients to the tempering if desired.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Pumpkin Gut Dip is ready. Serve and enjoy.
***Click below to save it on Pinterest***